A castor oil pack is a simple and beneficial way to detox. The castor bean (Oleum ricini) is known principally as a cathartic (strong laxative). As a pack is placed over the abdomen, usually with heat applied, the oil is absorbed into the gut-associated lymphoid tissue (GALT), which is a part of the mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue (MALT). Together these systems of immune issue work with the liver to encourage elimination of toxins from the body and promotion of the body’s many defense mechanisms.
The castor oil pack is specific for non-cancerous uterine fibroids and ovarian cysts. Other conditions which seem to respond well to castor oil treatments include headaches, liver disorders, constipation, intestinal disorders, gallbladder inflammation or stones, conditions with poor elimination, infertility, night time urinary frequency and inflamed joints. Do not use castor oil packs during pregnancy, heavy menstrual flow or the presence of internal bleeding.
- organic castor oil (contact our office)
- 36″ x 10″ piece of cotton flannel (contact our office)
- hot water bottle (optional)
- Pour organic castor oil on a wool or flannel cloth. You don’t need much; just 2 to 6 tablespoons (enough to moisten the middle of the cloth). Do not saturate the cloth. This is not necessary and too messy! Cut the cotton flannel cloth in 4 pieces, giving you enough pieces of cloth for 4 sessions. Wash each piece before using it again.
- Place the cloth over the organ you are supporting (e.g., liver, entire abdomen, pelvic region, scar). Put a towel over the cloth.
- You may place a hot water bottle over the towel but this is not absolutely necessary. The body’s natural heat is sufficient.
- Leave pack on for 30-45-60 minutes. Read, listen to music or watch a relaxing video. Practice relaxation breathing by placing one hand on your diaphragm and the other hand on your lower abdomen. As you breathe in, force your lower abdomen to swell like a balloon. With each breath out, practice relaxing your jaw and shoulders. As you practice more, relax all muscles in your body. You may even fall asleep and wear the pack all night.
- In preparation for your next castor oil session, wash the cloth separately from clothes or nice linens as the oil can stain for the next treatment.
- Most individuals begin with a castor oil pack on the designated organ 1 to 4 evenings a week; however, with acute pain or dysfunction these packs can be applied 3 times a day or more. Continue utilizing these packs for weeks or months, depending on your symptoms. For maximum effectiveness, apply the pack as often as possible- at least 4 consecutive days per week for at least 4-6 weeks. Daily use provides the most beneficial effects.
- Do not be use castor oil packs during pregnancy or menstruation without medical supervision.
- If you have had recent abdominal surgery, consult your physician before beginning castor oil packs.
- If you have colitis, Crohn’s or chronic diarrhea, start with 10 minutes per treatment.
- Contraindicated over the abdomen of women with IUDs.
Please Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase through these links, there is no additional charge to you, but Biodynamic Wellness does receive a small commission from the company. This helps us to cover the basic costs for this website and allows us to continue providing you with free content. Thanks so much for your support!