Have you ever wondered which is the bigger threat…sunscreen or the sun?
Science confirms that what you put ON your body is as important as what you put IN your body. This means the active ingredients found in sunscreen will be directly absorbed into your bloodstream. Therefore, it’s important to look at the ingredients in your sunscreen.
The most common active ingredient in sunscreen is oxybenzone. As you can see in this article, it can trigger allergic reactions, disrupt your endocrine, reproductive and cardiovascular systems, cause cancer and create cellular damage. A recent study even revealed that after oxybenzone gets absorbed into your bloodstream, it is still detectable 3 days after application!
While chemical additives in sunscreen make it a serious threat, you still want to avoid a sunburn. So, we first suggest you follow these recommendations on how you can be wise with your skin.
Next, if you’re planning to be outside for an extended period of time, here’s our non-toxic homemade recipe and our top store-bought recommendations:
Our Homemade Sunscreen Recipe
- 3/4 cup coconut, olive or avocado oil
- 3 tablespoons beeswax
- 3/4 cup water, rose water, or herbal tea – room temperature or slightly warmer
- Essential oil for fragrance (optional)
- 2 tablespoons zinc oxide
- Cocoa powder for tint (optional)
- Grate beeswax and melt with oil over double boiler.
- Put 1 cup of flavored water in food processor and after beeswax-oil mixture has cooled for two minutes, add the oil into the water by emulsifying.
- When finished emulsifying, essential oil can be added, if desired. Then, add the 2 tablespoons of zinc.
- If tinted sunscreen is desired, add cocoa powder by adding ½ teaspoon increments until you reach desired color.
- Can store at room temperature, but for longer preservation, keep in the refrigerator.
Our Favorite Brands
If you prefer to purchase your sunscreen, use this EWG Sunscreen Guide to help you find the least toxic sunscreen options. Here are our favorite brands:
- All Terrain
- Babo Botanicals Sheer Zinc SPF 30
- California Baby
- John Masters Organic
- Pure Organic Shea Butter (has a mild 5 to 6 SPF)
- Reflect Outdoor Balm (Annie’s Organic)
Please Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase through these links, there is no additional charge to you, but Biodynamic Wellness does receive a small commission from the company. This helps us to cover the basic costs for this website and allows us to continue providing you with free content. Thanks so much for your support!