Looking for a simple and tasty way to add liver to your diet? Try our delicious and nutrient-packed raw milk liver shake.
Liver is teeming with fat-soluble vitamins A, D and K2, along with vitamins B6, B12 and C and vital minerals such as zinc, copper, cobalt, magnesium and iron. When made with raw milk, kefir or yogurt, this shake offers a healthy dose of calcium along with the many other minerals.
It’s a perfect pre and post-workout shake. We also use it often for those with infertility and PMS challenges. Give it a try….even children love this shake!
Ingredients: (Serves 1)
- 4 to 6 ounces raw milk, kefir or whole fat yogurt * (for a dairy-free version, use coconut milk)
- 1 cup berries, fresh or frozen (optional)
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 2-3 raw organic egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon raw beef liver, frozen for at least 14 days prior to use**
- 1 tablespoon organic, unrefined coconut oil
- 2 to 4 ounces raw organic cream* or coconut cream (Artisana Coconut Cream)
- Place all ingredients in blender or food processor and process until well blended.
*People following the GAPS™ Diet should omit raw milk and raw cream. Instead use sour or piima cream if you are on the GAPS™ Diet. Ideally raw or sour/piima cream is best for supporting hormone health. Cultured cream may be made from viili, piimä and filmjölk cultures (all mesophilic cultures, room temperature cultures). Cultures may be purchases online from Cultures for Health.
**If consuming daily, use this amount. If consuming twice weekly with no other liver in the same week, use to 2 tablespoons beef, bison or lamb liver (twice weekly). Chicken and duck liver can be used up to 3 tablespoons twice weekly. More than this will be less palatable for most people.