You’ve likely done a fantastic job cleaning up your diet, but have you considered that the personal items you put on your body are just as important as what you put in your body?
Your skin is your largest organ and absorbs so much of what you apply on a daily basis. In fact, due to the toxic nature of most personal care products, the average woman is exposed to 127 unique synthetic chemicals before even leaving the house in the morning!
Here are our recommendations for personal items to help support a healthy lifestyle:
1. Only use non-toxic personal hygiene products. Here are some of our favorites:
- Shampoo: Avoid “fragrance,” PEGs, parabens, and DMDM. Use Aubrey Organics, CWS, Jason, John Masters, Miessence, Pure & Simple, Real Purity, Terra Naturals
- Soap: Avoid triclosan and triclocarban. Use Aubrey Organics, Dr. Bronner’s, Ecco Bella, Honest Company Dish Soap, Kirk’s Original Coco Castile Soap (Fragrance Free), Vital Image
- Toothpaste: avoid triclosan and fluoride. Use Baking soda & Celtic sea salt or Himalayan salt (equal portions), Homefresh, Kiss My Face (Fluoride Free), Peelu, Tooth Soap, Weleda
- Deodorant: avoid aluminum. Use Aubrey Organics, Dr. Hauschka, Herbal Clear, Nature’s Gate Organics, Real Purity, Schmidt’s Natural Deodorant, Terra Naturals, Vital Image
- Lotions: avoid retinyl plamitate or retinol. Use AromaBella, Aubrey Organics, Coconut oil, Dr. Hauschka, evanhealy Shea Butter, Honest Company Diaper Rash Cream, Miessence, Royal Labs, Vital Image Oil, Weleda
- Skin Care: Dr. Hauschka, Aubrey
- Feminine Protection: Natracare
2. Simple products can be made at home using all-natural ingredients. Here are a few of our favorite resources and ingredients:
- Diet for Natural Beauty by Aveline Kushi and Wendy Esko
- Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap: It’s safe and effective for both personal and household usage. Examples include shampoo, body wash, shaving cream, laundry soap, grout cleaner, toothpaste, hand soap, pet shampoo, floor cleaner, and more.
- Baking Soda: Scours, scrubs, deodorizes and cleans.
- Lemon Juice: Kills most bacteria due to its high acidity.
- Hydrogen Peroxide: Cleaning countertops
3. Wear 100% cotton clothing, especially for the layers next to your skin.
4. Choose makeup products that avoid these toxic and estrogenic compounds: parabens, phthalates, rentyls, oxybenzone, fragrances and PECs.
To read our lifestyle considerations for your daily habits, click here and to read our lifestyle considerations for your household items, click here.
Please Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase through these links, there is no additional charge to you, but Biodynamic Wellness does receive a small commission from the company. This helps us to cover the basic costs for this website and allows us to continue providing you with free content. Thanks so much for your support!